Emergency Dental Services for Inconvenient Oral Crises
At Joseph T. Mormino, DDS, we understand that dental emergencies can be overwhelming, stressful, and inconvenient. Dr. Mormino and his team offer emergency dental services at their Staten Island, NY, practice to treat urgent toothaches, knocked out teeth, broken teeth, and other dental emergencies. When a dental emergency arises, no matter the time of day, simply call our office at (718) 876-9100 and select the emergency option. Typically, our caring staff can schedule a same-day appointment to address your emergency.
Immediate Treatment for Common Dental Emergencies
Providing immediate care can help protect your long-term oral health. Some of the more common dental emergencies that we can treat include:
- Toothaches: Symptoms can range from mild dental sensitivity to throbbing, shooting, dull, and radiating pain. Tooth pain is often a sign of tooth decay or infection that may require a tooth-colored filling, root canal therapy, or a dental crown. In more severe cases, you may require a tooth extraction. If pain persists for 48 hours, schedule an appointment with us.
- Cracked, Chipped, or Broken Teeth: Tooth damage can occur because of something you eat, due to rough play, or even as a result of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder. Symptoms can range from dental sensitivity to jaw pain. As soon as the injury occurs, gently rinse with warm water and, if possible, place any tooth fragments in a container of milk to bring with you to the appointment. You can take an over-the-counter pain medication and apply an ice pack to your face in 15-minute intervals to help ease discomfort. Then call our office right away to schedule an appointment. You may require dental bonding, root canal therapy, or a dental crown to help repair your smile.
- Loosened or Knocked-Out Teeth: This type of damage typically occurs from a fall or other facial injury. If the tooth has been knocked out, hold it by the crown, gently rinse with warm water, and try inserting it back into the socket. If you are unable to reinsert it, place the tooth in a container of milk and call our office right away. You can apply a cold compress to your face in 15-minute intervals and take an over-the-counter pain medication to ease discomfort. Your dentist will try to salvage your natural tooth. If it is unable to be saved, you may need a dental implant or bridge to replace the missing tooth.
Dr. Mormino and his team offer emergency dental services to treat urgent toothaches, knocked out teeth, broken teeth, and other dental emergencies.
- Lodged Object Between Teeth: Try removing the object with dental floss. Do not try and remove it on your own with anything other than dental floss or your teeth and gums could become severely damaged. If the object remains, call our office to schedule an appointment; we have the necessary tools available to help dislodge the object and alleviate discomfort.
- Damaged Dental Work: If you have a dental filling or dental crown break, save the broken parts and call our office right away. Your dentist can reattach the restoration with composite resin or dental cement. In some cases, you may need a new dental filling or dental crown. Our state-of-the-art lab can create strong, durable, customized restorations to help repair your smile.
If you are experiencing a dental emergency, call our office at (718) 876-9100 to receive the care you need. Our compassionate and caring team can help you schedule a same-day appointment to address your urgent oral needs. Alternatively, you can use our convenient online form to submit questions or concerns.