If large gaps between your teeth cause you to feel self-conscious about your smile, treatment for gapped teeth may be right for you. Fortunately, there are many options to address each patient's unique needs. Cosmetic dentistry treatments can address gaps and other dental flaws to reveal a vibrant, beautiful smile. To find out which treatment for gapped teeth is right for you, schedule a consultation with Staten Island, NY dentist Joseph T. Mormino.
Treatments for Gapped Teeth
There are a variety of treatment options available to improve the appearance of gapped teeth and create a more beautiful smile. The type of treatment used depends on the needs and goals of each patient and may include one or more of the following treatments.
- Porcelain veneers: Porcelain veneers provide fast, effective treatment for gaps between teeth and other dental flaws. Porcelain veneers are thin, tooth-shaped fabrications that fit over the front facing surface of the teeth. Each veneer is custom-made to the desired shape, size, and color to create a beautiful smile.
- Dental bonding: Dental bonding can be used to treat gaps between teeth and mask other imperfections. With dental bonding treatment, a tooth-colored, putty-like resin is applied and shaped directly on the teeth and hardened once the desired appearance is achieved.
- Dental crowns: Dental crowns are a type of dental restoration that fit completely over a damaged or flawed tooth to correct appearance and improve function. Crowns are often used as a restorative treatment, but they can also be used for cosmetic purposes, including gaps between the teeth.
- Traditional orthodontics: Those with large gaps and other alignment issues may benefit from treatment with traditional orthodontics. Traditional orthodontics involves the use a metal bracket and wire system to gradually reposition the teeth, creating a gap-free smile.
- Invisalign®: Those who are interested in orthodontic treatment but would prefer a more discreet option may wish to consider Invisalign®. Invisalign® orthodontic treatment gently realigns the teeth and closes gaps using a series of comfortable, clear trays, providing the benefits of traditional orthodontics without the need for noticeable metal braces.
- Frenectomy: A large gap between the two upper, front teeth is sometimes caused by an enlarged labial frenum. The labial frenum is the tissue connecting the lip to the gums. A frenectomy may be preformed to reduce the size of the labial frenum. For young patients, a frenectomy alone may be enough to allow the teeth to move closer. Older patients often require one of the above treatments in addition to a frenectomy to achieve gap closure.
Candidates for Gapped Teeth Treatment
Because there are a variety of treatment options for improving the appearance of gapped teeth, many people with unwanted gaps make excellent candidates for treatment. Candidates should have relatively healthy teeth and gums and experience one of more of the following:
- Large gap between two or more teeth
- Self conscious about the appearance of gaps between teeth
- Unevenly spaced teeth
- Gaps between teeth due to undersized teeth
Schedule a Consultation
You can enjoy the benefits of a gorgeous smile with treatment from Dr. Mormino. To find out which treatments are right for you, we invite you to schedule a consultation today.